Oregon Chapter of the National Writers Union (NWU)
Three people attended the meeting. Two officers sent word that they could not attend. The meeting opened at 4:00 PM.
- Introductions were done.
- It was moved, seconded and carried that the minutes from our previous meeting be approved.
- Oregon AFL-CIO affiliation: It was reported that out affiliation is still in motion. Michael Funke was appointed to represent our Chapter on the Central Oregon Labor Chapter (COLC). Michael discussed the COLC presence in central Oregon. Michael does a podcast. Elissa Edge reported on the work of the Marion-Polk-Yamhill Central Labor Chapter (MPYCLC). Elissa Edge was appointed to represent our Chapter on the MPYCLC. Marty Hart-Landsberg will send a letter certifying Michael Funke as our representative to the COLC.
- Eviction Representation for All: It was moved, seconded and carried that we donate $50.00 towards the purchase of a statement in the voter’s pamphlet supporting the Eviction Representation for All measure.
- Chapter building: It was reported that Marty Hart-Landsberg and Bob Rossi recently met with a Portland-based freelancer regarding NWU. It was decided that Marty Hart-Landsberg and Michael Funke will follow up with another pro-labor freelancer. We hope to organize a Zoom meeting with 3-6 freelancers. Making personal connections with freelancers are necessary for Chapter growth.
- Fair Shot Oregon: Supporting the Fair Shot Oregon campaigns was raised. Marty Hart-Landsberg and Michael Funke will follow up.
- Legislative attacks on journalists and other writers in Florida: Such attacks could come to Oregon. These are attacks on all writers and on freedom of expression.
- Getting an article about our Chapter in The Northwest Labor Press: Michael Funke will follow up.
- Discussion on our Chapter e-mail and social media: It was suggested that we should forward Oregon AFL-CIO e-mails to our Chapter members or ask the Oregon AFL-CIO to add NWU members to their lists. No decision was made.
- Our Chapter’s labor resources list: It was agreed in principle to add to our list.
- Discussion on our Chapter using labor media: A freelancer and Bob Rossi may appear on Michael Funke’s podcast.
- Chapter tee-shirts: This project has been tabled.
Michael Funke would like to talk to NWU members in central Oregon about local activism. Michael can be reached at email@example.com.
The meeting closed at 5:00 PM.
Our next meeting will be held on Sunday, May 14 at 4:00 PM. The Zoom information is as follows:
The Zoom link and related connection information is as follows:
Meeting ID: 868 3316 9280
One tap mobile:
+12532158782,,86833169280#,,,,*433196# US (Tacoma)
Dial by your location: +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 868 3316 9280